Want to improve your pronunciation in English? It’s all about working the muscles in your mouth and tongue.
There are 36 muscles in your mouth and if you’re learning English, you wlll have to practicing using mouth muscles that most likely aren’t used much in your native language.
The best way to activate and train these mouth muscles is to practice English tongue twisters.
Tongue twisters are basically a set of words that sound similar that are designed to be a bit tricky to say and pronounce swiftly, smoothly and perfectly without pausing.
For example, try to say the sentence below. The goal is to say it out loud, perfectly pronouncing each word, and to say i the way through with messing it up.
“How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?”
How did you do? Did you mess up? Now try it again, but say it faster.
Did you get it? Now try this one-
“Willy’s real rear wheel”
Remember that the goal is to practice pronouncing these twisters perfectly. The more you practice this perfectly, the better your English pronunciation will be.
There are tons of tongue twisters that will help you improve your pronunciation and diction.
There are also specific tongue twisters for specific sounds you want to improve.
For example, if you want to practice on the “s” sound, you need to practice tongue twisters that have the “s” sound that are specifically designated to help you improve the way that you’re pronouncing your “s’s.”
Here’s tongue twister for the “S” sound-
“Santa’s Short Suit Shrunk”
Below is our complete list of tongue twisters to help you improve your pronunciation. If you know of any that you find useful and aren’t on this list, please add them to the comment section!
Betty Botter butter tongue twister
- Betty Botter bought some butter
But she said the butter’s bitter
If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter
But a bit of better butter will make my batter better
So ‘twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter
Dense and Fleas tongue twister
- Denise sees the fleece,
Denise sees the fleas.
At least Denise could sneeze
and feed and freeze the fleas
Can tongue twister
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
Clam’s tongue twister
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
Good Cook Cooking Cookies tongue twister
- How many cookies could a good cook cook If a good cook could cook cookies? A good cook could cook as much cookies as a good cook who could cook cookies
Editing tongue twister
- Eddie edited it
Fish tongue twister
- There was a fisherman named Fisher
who fished for some fish in a fissure.
Till a fish with a grin,
pulled the fisherman in.
Now they’re fishing the fissure for Fisher.
Fred fed Ted tongue twister
- Fred fed Ted bread, and Ted fed Fred bread
Gargoyles tongue twister
- Gobbling gargoyles gobbled gobbling goblins
Ice Cream tongue twister
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream
“ick” sound tongue twister
- Six sick hicks nick six slick bricks with picks and sticks
Leather weather tongue twister
- Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better
Luke Luck tongue twister
- Luke Luck likes lakes.
Luke’s duck likes lakes.
Luke Luck licks lakes.
Luck’s duck licks lakes.
Duck takes licks in lakes Luke Luck likes.
Luke Luck takes licks in lakes duck likes.
Mongols tongue twister
How many boards
Could the Mongols hoard
If the Mongol hordes got bored?
Peter Piper tongue twister
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
Santa tongue twister
- Santa’s Short Suit Shrunk
Seventy seven tongue twister
- Seventy seven benevolent elephants
Skunk on a stump tongue twister
- A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk
Stu chews tongue twister
- Stu chews shoes, should Stu choose the shoes he chews?
Sun shine soon tongue twister
- We surely shall see the sun shine soon
Sushi chef tongue twister
- So, this is the sushi chef
Susie sitting tongue twister
- I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop.
Where she sits she shines, and where she shines she sits.
“Th” sound tongue twister
- The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday
Three cheese freeze tongue twister
- Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew.
While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew.
Freezy breeze made these three trees freeze.
Freezy trees made these trees’ cheese freeze.
That’s what made these three free fleas sneeze.
Wheel tongue twister
- Willy’s real rear wheel
Willy weary tongue twister
- Willie’s really weary
Wish tongue twister
- I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
Woodchuck tongue twister
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would
if a woodchuck could chuck wood.